Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"Beloved downtown theater" by Tom Boyer


The first movie I saw at Cinema Center was Trainspotting. I won free tickets in a radio contest. This was sometime in 1996. At the time, Cinema Center to me was this vague concept of a movie theater somewhere downtown. I think it was one of the first times I was in downtown at night and there wasn't some sort of festival going on. 

As time progressed, I would grow to love Cinema Center, from the IPFW summer films to movies you could only see at my now beloved downtown theater. I took two classes at IPFW that were held at Cinema Center. One was called "Politics in Film," the other was "Film Comedy." That alone exemplifies what is best about Cinema Center: its diversity. The breadth of films I have seen at Cinema Center ranges from the aforementioned Trainspotting to MatewanOleanaGallipoli, then uproarious comedies like Some Like It HotIt Happened One NightTo Be or Not to BeWhat's Up Doc? and even modern classics like Legally Blonde.


My life has been intensely enriched by Cinema Center. I still see movies there whenever I can. I donated to the digital projector initiative because I want to keep coming downtown to see great movies. When I bought a house, I moved from the suburbs to the city, because I wanted to be close to downtown attractions like Cinema Center. I want to keep seeing movies that are entertaining, engaging, and intellectually stimulating. I learned so much from Cinema Center's movies over the years, and I want future generations to have the same memorable movie experiences I had. 

Help Cinema Center go digital by donating to the Digital Projector Fund today.



Tom Boyer is a financial services marketing professional and graduate of IPFW. He is also a community volunteer for Northeast Indiana Public Radio and serves on the board of Young Leaders of Northeast Indiana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment