Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"Sharing the experience" by Thom Johnston


Watching a movie in the comfort of your own home is okay, but there's nothing like sharing the experience with a theater of fellow film fans.    

Hoosiers are a bit more reserved, but my best theater experience ever was watching "Gone With the Wind" at the Castro Theater in San Francisco. When Rhett Butler scooped up Scarlett and started to climb the staircase, a deep voice from the back of the theater pleaded, "TAKE ME."

Moments like that don't happen in mainstream movie theaters. 

Don't see a South Park movie at a matinee, for instance. There were just a handful of people in the theater and I burst out laughing at a spectacularly politically incorrect joke. When I realized I was the only one that laughed I wanted to crawl under my chair.

That’s what’s so great about a theater like Cinema Center.

My favorite Cinema Center experience was watching "Nosferatu" with live accompaniment. I squirmed with pleasure because the evening was unique. Can't get that kind of fun sitting at home. 

Help Cinema Center go digital by donating to the Digital Projector Fund today.



Thom Johnston is an HBV tycoon for Dos Homos Brand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment