Thursday, July 18, 2013

"A little bit of us would go with it" by Kathy Weiss


In 1989 I spent a semester in London as a social work student. When I had free time I went to the cinema and saw many wonderful films…documentaries and indie films, obscure films.

When I returned to Fort Wayne I was in withdrawal. Where would I get my “fix” of smart, funny, controversial films? Certainly not at the big box theatres. They had the run-of-the-mill “blow them up” movies that appealed to the common denominator…money making.

The thoughtful films were to be found only at Cinema Center.

Cinema Center is a gem in the midst of Fort Wayne. Only at Cinema Center can one find films to stir the soul and mind, films to provoke, to take us from the ordinary. Only at Cinema Center can we find films that lift us up or provoke us into thought.

If Cinema Center is to carry on our spirit it is up to us to support its spirit. Without the digital projector Cinema Center would go dark. If that were to happen a little bit of us would go with it.

Keep the lights on. Keep the spirit going. Keep our spirits going.




Kathi Weiss is a cinephile who supports her habit by teaching psychology at Ivy Tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment